Summer Study Abroad Programs in Sicily, Italy
Students studying abroad in Sicily, Italy in the summertime are entrenched with the historically diverse cultures of the Mediterranean reflected in Sicily’s art, architecture, food, and culture. Sicily is the land where Archimedes taught, Saint Paul preached and Pirandello wrote. Taormina, nicknamed the Pearl of the Mediterranean, has enchanted numerous visitors over the course of its history as a Greek colony, a Roman province, an Arab emirate and a Norman kingdom and Sicily enchants summer study abroad students as well.
Students can select from the Italian language courses and Italian studies courses in Italian literature, art, history, geology, archeology and Italian cinema offered in either English or Italian in the Summer Study Abroad in Italy program.
Students enrolled in Summer Study Abroad in Sicily, Italy can discover the natural beauty of Sicily. After class, students escape to Taormina’s world renowned beaches and relax, completing assignments while lounging on pebble beaches with pristine turquoise water. Taormina is a magical center for culture in the summer with music concerts, an international film festival, art exhibits and activities drawing an international audience to Taormina’s stages and piazzas.
Numerous contemporary and classical concerts are scheduled throughout the season in outdoor venues which attract visitors to Taormina from all over the country and Europe. During their free time, students enjoy Taormina’s world class beaches such as Isola Bella, with its warm, transparent water and magnificent Nature Preserve.
Students discover that Taormina, Sicily has a high-caliber, vibrant art community. Students enrolled in the Summer Study Abroad in Sicily, Italy Programs participate in our Center for Italian Language and Culture‘s weekly social and cultural activities including Italian Cinema, Italian Art, Literature and History lectures, hiking and boat rides and sport activities.
In addition to the school activities, Taormina hosts many cultural events throughout the year. In summer, Taormina Arte – International Festival for Cinema, Music and Theater – schedules all of their events in the 2000+ year old Greek Theater just steps from the school.
The international student population studying at Babilonia – Center for Italian Language and Culture enriches the learning environment and makes the Center a unique opportunity for Study Abroad in Italy students.
Summer Study Abroad Programs in Sicily, Italy include
- Roundtrip transportation from and to Catania’s Fontanarossa Airport
- Orientation in Taormina
- Welcome Dinner
- Accommodation in shared student apartment with single bedroom and shared bathroom, kitchen and living area
- Daily breakfast
- First day package (Folder, notepad, pen)
- Student discount card for local businesses
- Guided historical walking tour of Taormina
- PC’s available during school hours
- Free WiFi connection (Monday to Friday 8:30 – 5:00 at school)
- Weekly seminars in Italian culture, history, literature or art
- Weekly Italian film socials
- Weekly social activity
- Optional Weekend full day excursions (additional fee)
- Final transcript for direct transfer of credit to home university
- Airfare is not included
Courses available in Summer Study Abroad in Italy Program:
- Italian Language (3 credits) available levels
ITA 101 Elementary Italian I ITA 102 Elementary Italian II ITA 111 Intermediate Italian I ITA 112 Intermediate Italian II ITA 201 Advanced Italian I ITA 202 Advanced Italian II ITA 211 High Advanced Italian ITA 212 High Advanced Italian II ITA 301 Superior Italian I ITA 302 Superior Italian II
Language courses are total immersion study of Italian language and culture combining oral and written expression. Emphasis is on building communicative proficiency along with a basic command of Italian grammar. A variety of resources (journals, reviews, magazines, commercials, TV ads, video clips and music) expose students to the sights and sounds of contemporary Italy. Classes are restricted to a maximum of 12 students to optimize language acquisition.
Language courses Offered All Sessions.
- LI 421 Sicilian writers in the Italian Literature: From Pirandello to Camilleri (taught in English)
- LI 422 Gli Scrittori Siciliani Nella Letteratura Italiana: Da Pirandello A Camilleri (taught in Italian)
- HI 401 History of Mediterranean Civilizations in Sicily (taught in English)
- HI 402 Storia della Civilta Del Mediterraneo in Sicilia (taught in Italian)
- LI 443 Cinema of the Mediterranean Through the Italian Lens (taught in English)
- POL 401/ HI 401 Mafia: a Regional, National or Global issue? (taught in English)
- POL 402/ HI 402 Mafia: una questione regionale, nazionale o globale? (taught in Italian)
- FA 411 Roots of Italy: Art History of Sicily (taught in English)
- FA 412 Le Radici D’Italia: Storia Dell’Arte in Sicilia (taught in Italian)
- ARCH 301 Archaeology: Methodologies and Discoveries in Eastern Sicily (taught in English)
- ARCH 301 Archaeology Methodologies and Discoveries in Eastern Sicily (taught in Italian)
- LI 431 Camilleri’s Commissario Montalbano: Detective Stories in Modern Sicily (taught in English)
- LI 432 Commissario Montalbano di Camilleri: gialli nella Sicilia moderna (taught in Italian)
- LI 453/ITAMS 453 Screening the Italian American Experience(taught in English)
- ITC 403 Many Manifestations of Italian Culture (combines language study and cultural lectures in English)
- ITC 404 Le diverse maschere della cultura italiana (combines language study and cultural lectures in Italian)
- LI 433 Italian Cinema: Images from and of Italian Women (taught in English)
- LI 432 Cinema d’Italia: Immagini di e da donne italiane (taught in Italian)
- BMGT 301 Tourism Marketing and Management (taught in English)
- BMGT 302 Marketing turistico(taught in Italian)
- GEO 411 Geology of the Mediterranean and Volcanoes of Sicily (taught in English)
- GEO 412 Geologia del Mediterraneo e dei vulcani di Sicilia (taught in Italian)